Friday, March 11, 2022

John L. Parsell

 


I would like to honor John’s love for God, family, and life.

John was part of my life for nearly 30 years. If I had a soundtrack from my teenage years, you would surely make out John’s booming voice in our church choir.

He was there to repair my first cars, help with home improvements, and celebrate my graduations from high school and college, even hosting one of them.

He loved learning and trying new things. We enjoyed going to library book sales together, especially on the last day when they practically paid us to take the books away. 

John was a good storyteller, too. His stories of special times with his boys fueled my desire to be a good parent, too.

It can be easy to do good during good times, but he showed me that doing good during hard times is what really counts. John remained faith-filled during his health battle. He was there during my most trying time. I remember his eyes were filled with tears as we set out in a moving truck, leaving behind the life I had known. He took a deep breath, steadied his hands on the steering wheel, and I remember feeling everything was going to be okay. He and Jo graciously helped me restart my life even though their hearts were hurting, too.

The two of them were there for so many activities with the girls. Grandpa made them special wooden pieces. Their favorite times with him included making big breakfasts, explaining his tools, watching the news in the basement, showing them his garden, watching Popeye and baking/cooking shows, and celebrating Christmas. My girls are so lucky to have had such a committed and fun Grandpa. 

John and Jo were there to help care for the girls. He welcomed Seth as a family member. When Emerson came along, it’s no surprise that he wanted him to just call him Grandpa, too. John enjoyed gifting Emerson with boy toys including a John Deere farm set.

I am so glad we had John in our lives and that the girls and I got to tell him goodbye. 

Matthew 5:12 - Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven...